The African Violet Association of Australia, Inc was formed to promote a better understanding of the growing of the plants of the Gesneriad family and to provide a way for enthusiasts of these plants to share experiences.
The most widely known member of this family is the African violet (Saintpaulia). Other members of the gesneriad family including Columneas, Achimenes, Kohlerias, Episcias, Nematanthus, Sinningias, Aeschynanthus and Gloxinia are now becoming more popular.
Meetings where these plants are the focus of attention are held at 10.00 am on the 2nd Monday of each month February to November at the Burwood RSL Club, 96 Shaftesbury Road, Burwood, NSW.
Visitors are always welcome, but if you would like more information first, ask us, by using the Contact link above.
Please Note: After some several changes, meetings are now once again held in the mornings, from 10.00 am
1. Regular meetings provide informative talks and demonstrations as well as useful interaction with other growers
2. Meetings include a mini-show of plants where a selection of plants at their best is exhibited to members
3. Each meeting has a plant sales table where members may purchase plants unavailable outside of hobby growing.
4. Members are able to pre-order growing supplies such as potting mix and pots and pick them up at the meetings..
5. The Association's news magazine, "The African Violet" is provided to all members, either by email or by post. Click on the image to download a sample copy of "The African Violet".
The Association also holds an Annual Show of African violets and other Gesneriad plants which is open to the public. Members exhibit and enjoy the exhibits of other members. There are usually plants and growing supplies for sale. This is an event for Association members to visit and for members of the African violet loving public also.
The 2018 Show will be held at the Burwood RSL Club on 27 October from 10.00 am to 4.00 pm.
Why not join the African Violet Association of Australia?
Use this link to download a Membership Form