The African Violet Association of Australia, Inc. was formed to promote a better understanding of the growing of the plants of the Gesneriad family and to provide a way for enthusiasts of these plants to share experiences.
The most widely known member of this family is the African violet (Saintpaulia). Other members of the gesneriad family including Columneas, Achimenes, Kohlerias, Episcias, Nematanthus, Sinningias, Aeschynanthus and Gloxinia are now becoming more popular.
Meetings where these plants are the focus of attention are held at 10.30 am on the 2nd Monday of each month February to November at the Burwood RSL Club, 96 Shaftesbury Road, Burwood, NSW.
Visitors are always welcome, but if you would like more information first, please ask us, by using the Contact link above.
The Association's next meeting will be on 13 March, 2023.
Special activities include:
A talk on growing Sinningia speciosa,
A talk on when to repot your African violet and what pot to use,
A Gesneriad "Flower Show", displaying individual flowers of Gesneriads.
1. Regular meetings provide informative talks and demonstrations as well as useful interaction with other growers
2. Meetings include a mini-show of plants where a selection of plants at their best is exhibited to members
3. Each meeting has a plant sales table where members may purchase plants unavailable outside of hobby growing.
4. Members are able to pre-order growing supplies such as potting mix and pots and pick them up at the meetings.
5. The Association's newsletter, "The African Violet" is provided to all members, either by email or by post.
The most recent (February 2023) edition of "The African Violet" includes the following articles:
Celebrating the hybridisers - Heinz Dornbusch
Experimenting with Wick Watering
Gesneriads (and Friends) in the Terrarium
My African Violet Story
Some Suggestions for Labelling Plants
Growing a Show Plant
Our African Violet and Gesneriad Show for 2023 will be held on 11 November. More details available closer to that time.
Why not join the African Violet Association of Australia?
Use this link to download a Membership Form