The African Violet Association of Australia, Inc was formed to promote a better understanding of the growing of the plants of the Gesneriad family and to provide a way for enthusiasts of these plants to share experiences.
The most widely known member of this family is the African violet (Saintpaulia). Other members of the gesneriad family including Columneas, Achimenes, Kohlerias, Episcias, Nematanthus, Sinningias, Aeschynanthus and Gloxinia are now becoming more popular.
Meetings where these plants are the focus of attention are held at 10.30 am on the 2nd Monday of each month February to November at the Burwood RSL Club, 96 Shaftesbury Road, Burwood, NSW.
Visitors are always welcome, but if you would like more information first, ask us, by using the Contact link above.
COVID-19 EFFECTS ON THE AVAA
Yes, our meetings are still to some extent suffering from the necessary restrictions relating to the pandemic.
However, we do hope to have a full programme of meetings in 2021. The first of these will be in February we hope. Members should consult their copy of "The African Violet" for details.
If you are not a member but are interested, please use the Contact Us link above.
GESNERIAD MEETINGS are not projected to restart for the time being as they are held in members homes.
AFRICAN VIOLET AND GESNERIAD SHOW 2021 is planned for Saturday 13 November.
1. Regular meetings provide informative talks and demonstrations as well as useful interaction with other growers
2. Meetings include a mini-show of plants where a selection of plants at their best is exhibited to members
3. Each meeting has a plant sales table where members may purchase plants unavailable outside of hobby growing.
4. Members are able to pre-order growing supplies such as potting mix and pots and pick them up at the meetings..
5. The Association's newsletter, "The African Violet" is provided to all members, either by email or by post.
Why not join the African Violet Association of Australia?
Use this link to download a Membership Form